The UNIMOUNT Story
At first, I wanted to focus on creating as much as I could with 3D printers. I only used things you get at a hardware store, springs, linear rods, bearing etc. I open sourced that design on printables.
I liked a lot about that design. It was sturdy, centered the screen, and is accessible to folks if they wanted to make their own. But, damn it was heavy, ugly and not portable. Each one took 850g of printer filament. It was a good first attempt, but I knew I could do better.
So I went back to the drawing board again. This time, I worked with 3rd parties to get as many pieces made for me as I could. Key parts are now made out of metal and injection modeled plastic.
It now only has 3 3D printed parts instead of 9. It's 25% smaller and 40% lighter. From ideation to the version you can buy today took approximately 1.5 years, on and off. Now, I am excited to get the product into folk’s hands!